Saturday, July 26, 2014

Turning Over a New Leaf


I always said that I will only write a blog when I feel there is actually something to write about. Well, it seems now is the time. This year has been a year of milestones and challenges. Graduating from University and moving back home have given me the time and incentive to take a better look at myself and figure out what makes me happy and what I would like to change. I've been toying with the idea of international volunteering before, under different circumstances, but it took time to shape entirely and then it hit me one day: I want to go to Africa.

I've heard about different options and decided to to go to the Gambia through a Slovenian non-profit geared towards helping children called Kids Are the World (Za otroke sveta ). Teaching in one capacity or another has always been an important part of my life so the idea of working at a school strongly appealed to me, though I didn't have previous experience with the preschool age group. I applied for their Summer camp project in May and from then on everything moved very quickly. Visa, plane ticket, seminar for volunteers … It seemed more and more real every day. It also came as a complete surprise to my family and friends.



I would lie if a said that making such a decision isn't scary. We're all afraid of the unknown, but I decided to take it as a challenge and see how much I can do to prepare myself before my departure in August. Number one: experience working with this age group, which is about 3 to 7, maybe 8.

Being the child of a teacher has its perks, one of them spending a week with 2nd Grade children in class at the primary school. It was amusing for me, because most of the teachers have known me since I was a baby and they were surprised to suddenly see me there in the morning going to class. I think I explained it at least 10 times and got a good laugh out of it.

As cliché as it sounds, it was in that classroom that I found myself. I was a bit apprehensive at first not being in contact with children much before. There were so many doubts flowing freely in my mind: will I even like it, are the children going to accept me … The children did away with them quickly. They were curious, accepting, mischievous and hungry for knowledge. I also bonded with their teacher who took me under her wing and became my mentor helping me make my first steps on this unknown territory. I was surprised at the ease with which the little ones accepted me and it was actually rather difficult to leave on my last day. I promised to come back in September and make a presentation about my month in the Gambia.




More about my next steps in this preparation journey in my next blog post.  

No comments: