Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Moments of Being

“Behind the cotton wool is hidden a pattern; that we—I mean all human beings—are connected with this; that the whole world is a work of art; that we are parts of the work of art. Hamlet or a Beethoven quartet is the truth about this vast mass that we call the world. But there is no Shakespeare, there is no Beethoven; certainly and emphatically there is no God; we are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself.” 
― Virginia WoolfMoments of Being



There have been many moments of being in this month I've spent in the Gambia. Those moments when everything crystallizes and you feel present in your life, alive in the moment, appreciating it's worth before letting it go to become a memory. Moments of colours, happiness, laughter, songs, disbelief, humility and so much more, all intertwined into a perfect picture, a keepsake for darker days. Sitting in the car together while another incredible thing happens and looking at each other at the same time: "This is Africa." Gazing at the sun setting over the Atlantic ocean while listening to the calming sound of the waves and the rustling of the palm leaves, enjoying the sea breeze at the picture perfect tropical beach. Attending a special ceremony at a family compound and witnessing joy, singing, dancing and laughter, all without a drop of alcohol being served. The look in a child's eyes when he finally manages to write a single letter, something his parents have never been able to do.



 I can say without any doubt that Africa has given me much more than I could ever give to it. My meagre contribution pales in comparison with the life lessons I've received and the incredible people that have crossed my path and welcomed me into their hearts, treating me as one of their own. They are to ones who have taught me to appreciate the moment, to slow down, to trust myself and to follow my dreams no matter what. It's also where I've rediscovered what I'm meant to do, the goal worth fighting for, the goal worth striving for.


 I've seen what true strength is when I met many people living in almost impossible conditions yet who have managed to stay positive and to appreciate the small good things in life. People who live on as little as 30 Euros per month, often without running water and electricity in cramped living spaces but who will never think of not sharing what little they have with those even less fortunate. A taxi driver struggling to feed his family of 5, working hard every day, all day, gives money to an elderly beggar who stops by his window. A poor family shows their gratitude with gifts for the sponsor of their child although they barely put food on the table. Drivers of our van sharing a small loaf of bread among them. A person giving someone their last coins because they want to help although that means they will stay without. A stranger paying for a car ride for another because they enjoyed a short conversation beforehand.


 The keyword is sharing. The custom in the Gambia is that whenever you're eating a meal, anyone in your vicinity is welcome to it, you always share your food even if that means less food for you. People always help each other, with money, food, clothes, although almost everyone here is poor. Poor in a materially sense that is. I've witnessed more empathy, kindness and true charity than anywhere I've been in the Western world. People here carry their wealth in their hearts and to me that will always be worth much more than all the money in the world.


It has been a privilege to spend this month in the Gambia and I'm forever grateful for this experience. Thank you, Mama Africa.

No comments: